Day 42: February 11th

I can't deny it - it's day 43 of this project and  it's starting to lose its charm.  Still, I think it's a worthy project if I am true to the unwritten goals: create a visual diary and improve my technique.  This image is the result of an attempt to improve my skill in creating multiple exposure images.  The image of the woman was actually in a magazine.  It was a Fendi advertisement.  I picked it because her eyes had the intensity I was looking for and the draping of the fabric around her head made her seem sort of like the Blessed Virgin Mary.  There are a lot of images to choose from in a fashion magazine, but I thought she had the right intensity combined with a softness that would suit being combined with the flower.  The result is OK and it was fun to make, but I don't see a real use for creating such an image.  It's not something that I would hang on a wall.  Maybe it would be useful as a book cover image.  Who knows.  I just wanted to create a proof of concept.  Mission accomplished!

Technical information: Exposure for both the chrysanthemum and magazine image (the woman) were the same.  Both were photographed at f8 and a shutter speed of .3 seconds.  This was an experiment that worked out well, although the subjects were very different.  If I was shooting one or the other as a stand-alone image, I would have adjusted the shutter speed.  I used my Tamron 180mm macro lens with the camera mounted on a tripod (that is one heavy lens!).  The flower was back-lit by a small flashlight.  This is a two-frame multiple exposure created in-camera using the Nikon multiple exposure function on the shooting menu.

1 comment:

  1. First of all I look forward to checking this page out every single day. And secondly, how could you possibly say you can't see such a use for creating such an image. You really don't understand how the rest of us see you and your talent do you? These things you do impact others' lives and you don't even realize it. You are truly a gift in the lives of many.

    ReplyDelete