Day 98: April 8th

Orange-Winged Blackbird Taking Flight

I like taking brief vacations from my daily routine.  These may only last a couple of hours and are generally to local areas.  I find that moving out of my usual environment helps me to see things better.  This is both figurative and literal.  On the figurative side, it's good for the mind to shake things up a bit - talk to new people, get new ideas, see what the world looks like beyond your own wallpaper.  On the literal side, when I go into new environs (such as the city or the ocean or the woods), I'm forced to really look at what's around me.  If you think about the junk in your house - maybe the corner where you put your mail, bills, and rabies certificate for your dog - I think you will find that you don't even see the junk anymore.  It's there, but it has become part of the landscape in your house so it doesn't hold anything that will shock, surprise or delight you.  It's just there.  When you are a photographer and your passion is seeing things, you have to snap out of that kind of sleep walking and pay attention!  That's what these mini-vacations do for me.

This is two pictures of the same bird.  It bothers me that I never ever get a good picture of an Orange-winged Blackbird.  They are everywhere, yet I can't shoot them to save my life.  On this day, I was too far away, fully extended out to 300mm.  Sure, I got the moment of flight and the flash of orange, but NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment