Day 7: January 7th

I managed to pull off this ghostly self portrait through old fashioned trial and error.  I tell you, it was not easy.  I was up early...5:00ish to be non-exact.  My head was buried in my latest project, which I cannot reveal here.  Not now.  If you are loyal you may learn about it during the BIG REVEAL.  But, that's not now.

So there I was up to my amygdala in this project, when I finally raised my eyes to the window and saw that between the time I woke and oh about 7:30 a.m., we had a lovely snow storm.  It all happened without my knowing and without my permission.  Still, that new pinhole lens was lurking in my camera bag and the bench by the pond has been overdue this winter for another portrait (I have WAY too many pictures of that bench).  I schlepped out in my tall rubber boots and the getup that you see here.  When you are a woman of a certain age, I find you can wear any damn thing you want.

A pinhole lens needs a long exposure.  For this image, I set the self-timer to 6 seconds - barely enough time to gimp around to the back of the bench on my bad knee.  The shutter speed was set to 20 seconds - an eterninty to stand there as still as possible.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm having a heck of a time making a post. So this is my 4th try. Anyway, Your talents never cease to amaze me. This haunting picture is another example of your genius. I'm committed to your New Year's Resolution. I'm in all the way. Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary! I have to issue a correction: originally I misspelled amygdala. I had it as "omigdala." Webster's says:

    a·myg·da·la   /əˈmɪgdələ/ Show Spelled
    [uh-mig-duh-luh] Show IPA

    –noun, plural -lae  /-ˌli/ Show Spelled
    [-lee] Show IPA
    . Anatomy .
    1. an almond-shaped part, as a tonsil.
    2. a ganglion of the limbic system adjoining the temporal lobe of the brain and involved in emotions of fear and aggression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I am totally mesmerized! I think the color of your umbrella, coat & hat are great for this shot. You look good for a woman of your certain age. :-)

    ReplyDelete